The Turkish Society of Hematology (TSH) was founded by Sedat Tavat, Arif Ismet Çetingil, F. Reimann, Seref Inceman, Orhan N. Ulutin, Ayhan Çavdar, Burhan Say, Nail Tartaroglu and Mustafa Karaca in 1967.
The Society, as the only official representative of scientists of hematology in Turkey, boasts a membership of 806 at home and abroad, and is one of the most active and oldest societies in the country. The Society falls under the auspices of the International Society of Hematology through the European-African Division of ISH. Since 2004, TSH, in association with the European Hematology Association (EHA) and the European Council for Accreditation in Hematology (ECAH), has awarded Continuing Medical Education (CME) accreditation points for participation in scientific and education programs. The Society’s official web page (www.thd.org.tr) contains information on TSH awards and grants; latest news regarding hematological malignancies, patient resources, and meetings; and an educational database. The website also consists of a news portal, which posts news to members, as well as a link to the Turkish Journal of Hematology.
The missions of TSH are;
- To provide information flow regarding hematology and branches of science collaborating with hematology,
- To improve and support studies and investigations in this field, to offer use of these studies within the boundaries of the Republic of Turkey regardless limitations such as region and area
- To provide the best representation of Turkish hematology at national and international level
The presidents of the Turkish Society of Hematology are listed below in chronological order: Şeref İnceman, MD (1967-1969), Orhan Ulutin, MD (1969-1996), Yücel Tangün, MD (1996-2001), Osman Ilhan, MD (2001-2005), Muhit Özcan, MD (2005- 2011), Teoman Soysal, MD (2011-2015), Ahmet Muzaffer Demir , MD (2015- )
TURKISH SOCIETY OF HEMATOLOGY POSTGRADUATE HEMATOLOGY EDUCATION
TSH supports and aims to standardize nationwide hematology education with;
- National and International congresses
- Turkish School of Hematology
- EHA /ISTH / ISLH Joint Educational Sessions at the annual meeting of TSH
- Tutorials (EHA)
- Research grants (fellows/ postgraduates), awards
The society has organized 41 National Congresses with international participation. It has a distinguished 48-year record of organizing Annual Hematology Congress of the highest quality, many of which have accommodated over 1,000 attendees. “The 42nd National Hematology Congress and 11th Balkan day of Hematology” were held October 19-22, 2016 in Antalya, Turkey with the highest quality scientific content. The society also organizes National Bone Marrow Transplantation and Stem Cell Therapies Congress on every two years. The history of this congress dates back to 1996. TSH has broadened its concept and has planned an outstanding event based on the recent advances in bone marrow transplantation and stem cell therapies.
The International Congress on Lymphoma- Leukemia-Myeloma provides a unique forum for scientists and medical professionals gathered from around the world to meet and exchange ideas and information in the field of hematology. The scientific program of the ICLLM Congress boasts most of the hematology masters who aim to provide a perfect balance between clinical education and news of the latest scientific developments. World renowned hematologists specialized in their areas are invited to this congress. Participants from different countries attend to the congress.
TSH also organizes;
- ICHEP (Hematology Education for Industrial Representatives): This course is designed to educate industrial representatives on basic hematology topics and this year 7th educational course was held.
- Basic Hematology Education For Primary Physicians: TSH aimed to update the primary physicians hematology knowledge in small cities in Turkey.
- Basic Hematology Education For Public: This education’s aim is to create a public awareness about hematologic diseases, both benign and/or preventable and malignant ones.
TSH AWARDS-GRANTS- FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMS
TSH promotes hematological research and to support junior, basic, and clinical researchers in the development of their careers. TSH has funding programs and grants as:
HAUD (Hematology fellow international training grant): This fellowship program is for young fellows that cover six-month training in the United States or Europe. TSH covers their travel expenses and provides monthly payment. Eight hematologists are presently benefiting from this program and began or completed their six-month study. There are 17 fellows who trained with this grant.
Research Projects Awards: Each year TSH has budget funds for research projects. Each project is evaluated by referees. Until this year TSH gave grants for total 46 projects. More information is available at TSH web site. Each year TSH funds approximately $100.000 budget for this award.
International Congress Grant: Young investigators are encouraged to attend international meetings. Travel and accommodation expenses are covered by TSH for the members who have an oral presentation at an international important meeting.
TSH Annual Congress Awards: High quality researches submitted in the TSH Annual Congress are evaluated by a jury. Top 6 clinical studies are awarded. The abstract which uses Turkish properly also awarded.
International scientific publication award (UYDO): TSH supports its members for their publications in journals related to field of hematology indexed in Index Medicus.
Fellowship Grants: The top ranking candidates who have chosen the field of hematology receives monthly payment during his/her hematology training.
TSH- Industrial Sponsored Grants: TSH has grants for its members with the funding from pharmaceutical companies to train abroad for short terms under specific topic such as CML, Lymphoma, Myeloma. TSH also encourages young hematologists to apply for this grant and help in finding a clinic to work at.
TSH SCIENTIFIC SUBCOMMITTEES
- Acute Leukemia
- Bone Marrow Failure
- Chronic Myeloid Leukemia and Myeloproliferative Neoplasies
- Hemapheresis, Blood Banking and Transfusion
- Infectious Diseases and Supportive Therapies
- Laboratory Standards
- Molecular Hematology and Cytogenetics
- Multiple Myeloma
- Red Blood Cell Disorders and Hemoglobin
- Stem Cell Transplantation
- Stem Cell Biology and Research
TURKISH SCHOOL OF HEMATOLOGY (TSH)
In 2008, Turkish Society of Hematology initiated a new program, the Turkish School of Hematology. This is an initiative towards the EHA passport and hematology curriculum to complement the needs in hematology education and emphasize important topics for the benefit of hematology fellows in Turkey.
The Society has a peer-reviewed international journal, “Turkish Journal of Hematology“, with an International Board. THE OFFICIAL JOURNAL of TSH TURKISH JOURNAL OF HEMATOLOGY is now indexed in SCIE and PubMed.
TSH publishes bulletins every 4 months for informational purposes of TSH for its members.
This journal is in Turkish language and each issue is published on a specific topic in hematology.
TSH translated 3 textbooks into Turkish and all are available on TSH website.
There are 15 guidelines in Turkish language that are prepared by TSH Scientific Subcommittees on hematological malignancies on TSH website.
RELATIONS WITH INTERNATIONAL SOCIETIES
- European Hematology Association (EHA)
- THE EUROPEAN GROUP FOR BLOOD AND MARROW TRANSPLANTATION (EBMT)
- THE INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY ON THROMBOSIS AND HAEMOSTASIS (ISTH)
- THE INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR LABORATORY HEMATOLOGY (ISLH)
- TURKISH HEMATOLOGY ACADEMY